Whether its poop in a diaper, a dog fart, or me forgetting my deodarent here is the day in the life of a single mom, her son, and their dog.

Friday, November 4, 2011

You think breastfeeding is what?!

LAZY?!

Apparently the people who think that never have breastfed a baby before. Because lazy, is the farthest word from the truth.

Breastfeeding is physically and mentally demanding on any mother. Breast milk is digested faster in a babies tummy than formula is, therefore we are feeding more often. And that even includes the middle of the night.

I don't even understand how somebody can think it is lazy, so I googled it. And now I just want to punch these people in their narrow minded faces. I came across one article, that is making me sick to my stomach. It makes me want to get off of my "lazy" butt go find these people, tackle them, and hose them down with my tata sauce.

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

They totally have it right, I am too lazy to do dishes, so breastfeeding avoids the bottles. Go look in my sick dillhole, do you see one dish in there? NO! Oh and by the way, breastfed mothers still use bottles. Ever heard of a breast pump? Oh my god I am getting so mad just reading this.

We are all so lazy because we don't want to take the time to prepare a bottle. OK yea that's right too. These people must not understand that breastfeeding mothers prepare their babies food 24 HOURS A DAY! We aren't like the formula moms who can have a beer with dinner with no worries. We have to eat more calories in a day because our bodies work so hard to provide the right nutrients and calories for our babies. If you are out in public there is preparation involved you selfish POS. Here are my steps in preparation to feed in public, which in my opinion has a lot more steps than mixing a bottle of formula. 1) Find a spot where we will both be comfortable for 10-20 minutes 2) Arrange myself so that I will not be exposed to strangers(don't want to hear people like you talk smack to me) 3) Lift up a shirt, pull one down, unhook bra those should be individual steps in themselves! 4) Throw a blanket over my shoulder and get baby latched and comfy 5) Make sure baby doesn't rip of blanket to offend you a-holes, and make sure that my bare nipple isn't exposed all at the same time.  What about the mothers that have to use nipple shields? I had to use one for the first month because we had latch issues. That takes time to get set up too.

Cant bother to warm a bottle in public? Whip out your milk warmers.
UGGGHHH!!!! That's right I will just whip them out, because my milk is the perfect temperature for my child. I don't have to worry about burning the inside of his mouth because I warmed a bottle too much. I also don't have to wait for it to warm up or cool down. I have it on tap at the right temperature for him.

I am also lazy because I don't want to take the time to figure out what is wrong with my child, so I just shove a boob in his mouth and call it good. This person must not have children. Because after some time every mother knows exactly what her child's cries mean. Paxon might not be able to use words to tell me what he needs, but I know by the noises he makes and the specific way he cries. Most of the time I am able to solve his problems without feeding him. But when he is hungry my boobs and I both know it. Does your bottle start leaking when your baby is hungry? I don't think so bucko.

I am also lazy because if I cosleep I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to feed my baby. WRONGO! I personally am not a fan of laying down and breastfeeding while I am asleep. I like to be able to pay attention to him eating, and sometimes he gets a little yank happy when he is asleep. So I wake up to feed my son. I get him out of his crib, and pull him into bed with me to eat. I know when he is done and how long he has eaten. I sacrifice the 20-30 minutes of my sleep in the middle of the night to make sure Paxon is fed, full, and happy. Then he comes back to bed with me. If he wakes up again I get up with him, and we do the same thing over and over.

This article is talking about how it takes a struggle for breastfeeding mothers to get the hang of breastfeeding, and that in the beginning we aren't lazy, but once we get the hang of it we are.

There is so many articles out there about this topic and it really is sickening. The people that write these either don't have children of their own, or just don't care about the health of them. They have also never had to deal with scabbed or bleeding nipples! Because we all know how breastfeeding is the best thing for your child. (see post "have milk will travel")

To you moms who wanted to breastfeed more than anything, but just couldn't for reasons other than you just didn't want too, my hat is off to you. The struggles I have heard trying to get your child to breastfeed is empowering to me and other moms out there.

Breastfeeding can be easy at times, but very difficult at others. But in the long run it is the most rewarding gift we can provide for our children.



And to a very specific mom of a very handsome preemie boy, I am so proud of you! Not only because of the way you handled all of the obstacles thrown at you,  but because you pumped throughout all of it so he could have your breast milk. By you doing that, he was able to come home on time, and is a thriving healthy adorable boy! READY SET GO!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe this is just backlash from bf being forced down everyones throats for years and woman being forced to feel guilty if they cannont or choose not to bf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion chosing not to breastfed and not being able too are two COMPLETELY different things.

    Yes, I know people who feel guitly because they couldn't breastfed, and when I had to give Paxon formula I myself felt guilty.

    Breastfeeding is being "forced" down everyones throats because EVERYBODY KNOWS IT IS BEST FOR THE BABY!

    The mother gets to control what goes into their babies, where formula has god only knows what else in it.

    Everybody has their reasons not to breastfed, but I the only reasons I hear are "it's gross, I dont want to deal with the hassle, it's just easier to give formula" with the moms that cannot do it for medical reasons as well. And I think all of the people that give the excuses (except for medical) are the ones who are lazy.

    But me, as a mother who can and does lactate, I see no reason to not provide breastmilk for my son.

    Everybody is entitled to do whatever and have the opinions they want.

    But until the day I die, I will support my friends and myself breastfeeding our children, and will punch anybody in the face who says otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or perhaps it's because we have sexualized the female body to the point that a woman's breasts are seen as nothing more than physical pleasure rather than it's intended purpose, to feed one's young. And I would disagree that it's been forced down womens throats. If anything formula as been pushed down our throats for decades! To the point that we push formula feeding in third world countries; dropping cases of formula into villages that have raised their children the most natural way possible. Clearly your guilt for not being able or choosing not to breastfeed has tarnished your opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! One more, for those of us that pump at work? Ten times more difficult than sending formula to daycare. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything here is all breast is best even the formula companies put it in their adds so from where I am it is being forced...sure breast is best but that doesnt mean formula is bad it is like name brand and store brand both get the job done one is slightly better.

    ReplyDelete